Friday, November 5, 2010

25 Days Of Thanks

When Heather Lowery of Mallard Cove Mommy invited me to join her 25 days of thanks blog challenge I knew it was something I had to try! I didn’t get a chance to start from day 1 but I decided I had better get to it! So here I am hopping in at day 5……

 

25 days of thanks day 5

Our Chickens and fresh eggs

Being thankful for daily fresh eggs is never something I thought I would say.  When my Husband proclaimed that he wanted to try to raise chickens, first I laughed, then I told him he was on his own! 

We had chickens once when I was growing up and I all I can remember of them is how cute they were as chicks and how quickly they grew in to big stinky hens! Back then I never even realized how much I took for granted having fresh eggs every day or the amazing creatures God put on this Earth to give them to us. 

When we first got our chicks at home they were soooo adorable. Even I had a hard time not wanting to care for them…….. then that stinky hen part kicked in! Oh boy! On more than one occasion I was ready to be rid of these things.  I refused to help care for them any more and decided it would be much easier to just buy eggs from the grocery store. (that must be the girl in me coming out)

My girls love these chickens and I adore watching them interact with them.  One day while watching the girls in the chicken pen I realized they are actually amazing creatures to watch.  From that day on I made a point to watch the chickens on a daily basis.  They are so funny wandering around and pecking at the ground. 

My outlook on chickens as changed greatly in the past few months. Now as soon as the girls get off the bus in the afternoon the first thing we do is check for eggs.  Their eyes light up when they spot one as if they have just found a golden treasure!  Right now we are getting about 4 eggs a day. (which is plenty for us)  They are so yummy and fresh. My family loves it!  So there you have it……. On day 5 I am thankful for our 9 crazy hens 3 rowdy roosters and their yummy yummy eggs!

 

003

004

056

025

011

jean1

2 comments:

Mallard Cove Mommy said...

What a great post! My husband and I have tossed around the idea of having chickens, also. I love the way you brought the bad side around to the good. Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming over to read! I missed yesterday so I will incorporate yesterday's into today's. Thanks again so much for inviting me to do this. It really makes me think about and appreciate the wonderful things in my life!